Roman Route to Salamanca
- Cycle the Roman Route to Salamanca on this self-guided cycling holiday in Spain. A historic location with gentle cycling paths and carefully chosen roads, this tour takes you past chestnut and oak woodland and through the beautiful villages around Salamanca. Cycle around the town of Barco de Avila, exploring its beautiful valley, and experience the history of the region with visits to fascinating 11th Century landmarks. The tour ends in the city of Salamanca, a UNESCO world heritage site.
From £1210.00 P/P
The historic walled city of Avila and a chance to visit its emblematic 11th century City Walls, medieval Cathedral and convent, chapels, and museums.
Bicycle and equipment hand-over. Transfer by car to the cycle starting point, on the foothills of the impressive Gredos Mountains. Follow small country roads through rural countryside to reach the lovely town of Barco de Avila where you will spend two nights.
Exploring the valley surrounding Barco de Avila along pleasant country roads.
Gentle cycle along rural countryside from Barco de Avila, into the province of Salamanca. Cycling amongst lovely chestnut and oak woodland and into the very beautiful village of Candelario where you will spend the night.
Cycle down into nearby Béjar to visit its Romanesque churches, XVIth century Palace and XIVth century Convent.
From here you connect with the “Via de la Plata”, a Roman highway used to transport silver from the northern mines to Seville, in the south.
Today this roman highway is a main artery of the famous Camino de Santiago from the south of Spain.
Another day following the “Via de la Plata” amongst pastures dotted with ancient holm oak trees. We are now entering the plains of Castilla to the north as we approach Salamanca. We stop overnight at the small village of San Pedro de Rozados.
One last cycling day to reach the stunning city of Salamanca, now declared a Unesco World Heritage site. Time to settle into your last hotel and enjoy the many sights and monuments and soak up the history of this city.
You will need to be in good health and reasonably fit. These trips may contain elements that are quite active, but not too hard. Accommodation will be very comfortable and pleasant.
• 7 nights’ accommodation & Standard Bike Hire
• 7 breakfasts.
• Luggage transfers between hotels
• Detailed maps with the trail clearly marked
• Itinerary description, full of recommendations for things to do and places to visit,
advice and suggestions and information about your accommodation, etc.
• Emergency support.
• Activity insurance.
• Half board (dinners) only in hotels with restaurant
• Extra night(s) in Avila
• Extra night(s) in Salamanca
• Extra night(s) in Madrid
We have put a calendar of events together that will provide you with some inspiration of what you can expect on your holiday, and when the best time to jet off is. Now’s your chance to travel further than you can by foot and be part of a memorable and exciting two-wheel journey with us.