Bike and Barge: Saarburg to Koblenz
Travel from Saarburg, the “Little Venice” of the region, to Koblenz via the Moselle and the Saar, two rivers which wind through enchanting countryside, guarded by majestic castles on the hills, whilst taking the opportunity to visit pretty villages with market squares surrounded by timbered houses. Is it any wonder that Moselle wine has built up such a good name?
The journey through the Moselle valley between Trier and Koblenz traverses some of Germany’s most beautiful countryside. You will meet winegrowers and bottlers on the way, but also cyclists from all around the world. The cycle paths are flat and even, and easily traversed by inexperienced riders.
From £1295.00 P/P
Arrive into Saarburg in time for embarkation, between 4 and 5 p.m. You will spend your first evening, and stay overnight, in Saarburg. In the city centre you will find a waterfall, 20 meters deep, as well as many baroque buildings and traditional fishermen’s houses.
Today you will cycle from Saarburg, to the abandoned meander of the River Saar, riding along through an idyllic nature reserve. Later on, you will head to Wasserbillig in Luxemburg, and from here to the Igeler Säule. Later you will reach your destination for the day, Trier, where MS PATRIA is already waiting for you.
After breakfast, you will embark on a short ride, via Pfalzel to Mehring, the largest winegrowing community in the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer region.
Today you will ride to Bernkastel-Kues. This market town, dating back to the Middle Ages, has wood-timbered houses that will invite you to stop and rest. On your ride today, make a visit to Neumagen-Dhron, which is the oldest wine-producing city of Germany. Further on you reach Piesport, the oldest wine growing community along the Moselle. You should take some time to stop and taste the popular wines.
Today’s ride will lead you to the romantic Traben-Trarbach, where Jugendstil architecture is at its best. You will then continue on to Zell, the well known wine village on the Moselle. In the evening you will have the chance to visit a local winegrower’s place, where you can enjoy a wine tasting with the famous Moselle wines (optional excursion, bookable onboard).
You will stop today in the perfectly maintained historical centre of Beilstein, “the Sleeping Beauty of the Mosel”. Later, your tour will end in Cochem with the Reichsburg. Cochem is a lovely little town, characterized by historical, half-timbered houses and a picturesque Old town.
Today, if you wish, you can spend the a day relaxing on board, perhaps on the sundeck. You can watch as the beautiful Moselle landscape passes by, and take a pleasant stroll along the “Deutsche Eck” in Koblenz in the afternoon, where Moselle and Rhine flow together. Keen cyclists can also enjoy a cycle from Cochem to Koblenz and visit Burg Eltz today.
Disembarkation after breakfast until 9:00 a.m. Individual journey home.
The quality of the cycle paths along this route is excellent. Most of the path along the Moselle is paved or asphalted and does not have any gradients of note. This makes the trip suitable even for relatively unpractised cyclists.
Total distance cycled: 246 km
Route Map (For guidance only):
Routes maybe subject to change or alteration. All route notes, maps and day-by-day information will be given to you upon arrival at the first hotel or at the welcome meeting. GPS/GPX Files are available for most our the cycling holidays we offer. Please ask us for details.
Tour Details (Subject to change)
- 7 nights in outside cabin on MS Patria with private facilities and air conditioning
- Standard Bike Hire
- Programme according itinerary
- Port fees included
- Captains greeting and Welcome drinks
- Daily cabin cleaning, Changing of towels and bed cloths if wanted
- Full board: 7x breakfast, 6x light lunch on board (non cyclists) or packed lunch for cyclists, 6x afternoon coffee break, 7x dinner
- Daily information meeting
- Information pack with route book (one per cabin)
- Tour guide on board (does not cycle with group
Not Included Services
- Flights to/from the start and finish
- Evening meals (unless stated)
- Local daily taxes (Payable at the hotel)
- Water Bottles
- Travel Insurance
- Bike Insurance (unless stated)
- Welcome Meetings (unless stated)
- Transfers (unless included)
• Embarkation: from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. • Disembarkation: until 9:00 a.m.
• Bike Hire on Board: smooth-running 7 speed – unisex- city bikes (custom built for SE-Tours) with hand- and back pedal brakes or with free-wheel hub (please indicate upon booking) and pannier bags. Electric bikes (limited availability – timely booking required) Please inform us about your body height upon booking.
• To bring your own bike: on request only – due to lack of space on sundeck. Storage of bikes inside the ship is not possible.
• Cycle Tours: unguided. You will cycle between 17 and 46 km per day. The kilometres indicated for the suggested cycle tours are approximate.
• Cycle routes/ level of difficulty: The quality of the cycle ways along the route is excellent. Most of the stretches are paved or asphalted, and lead alongside the Rhine dikes without any gradients of note. This makes the trip suitable even for unpractised cyclist.
• Optional Excursions: tour legs and the ship‘s time in port permitting, an optional excursion programme will be organised. Excursions can only be booked and paid (in cash) aboard the ship.
• Luggage on board: We recommend waterproof rain gear, bike helmet, sun hat and sports shoes. We would like to ask you to do without hard-side luggage, as storage space in the cabin is very limited!
• Alterations of schedule or programme: Subject to change. If a route cannot be shipped as a result of low or high water or bad weather, the captain reserves the right to change the route in view of your safety (this will not be accepted as a reason for free withdrawal).
• Travel documents: EU-citizens (without special situations like dual citizenship, main residence abroad or a limited-validity passport) are required to have a valid passport or ID-card, not expiring within six (6) months of the return of your cruise. We kindly ask non-EU citizens, EU-nationals with multiple citizenship or anybody who has to respect special legal entry requirements for the country to visit, to inform about visa and entry documents at the competent embassy.
• This trip is not suitable for guests with reduced mobility.
We have put a calendar of events together that will provide you with some inspiration of what you can expect on your holiday, and when the best time to jet off is. Now’s your chance to travel further than you can by foot and be part of a memorable and exciting two-wheel journey with us.